Disclaimer: Almost all of these fics were found at Archive Of Our Own (AO3) and they were selected according to my tastes and preferences. My opinions and reasons for putting them on a list are my own. So here’s the list of fics I read and liked/loved from the airing of The Reichenbach Fall to a couple minutes ago.
- A Study in Mourning by bendingwind [G; gen; Sherlock/John; WIP]: Three years is a long time. Long enough for a heart to mend and move on, if not forget. Set after The Reichenbach Fall, mild John/Sherlock.
It’s a nice, sweet fic. Doesn’t pack quite an emotional punch but I was already emotionally compromised by The Reichenbach Fall so it did its job.
- Hold Tight by ImpishTubist [T; gen; Lestrade & Sherlock]: Lestrade returns home one night to find an unexpected visitor in his flat.
In which Lestrade finds Sherlock in his flat post-Reichenbach and talk about why Sherlock is dead but not dead and what he should do and what he’s going to do. This is part of a short series, but I only read this one. They all seem to focus on the paternal!Lestrade & Sherlock relationship, which I’m okay with.
- Reparations by LonelyBuzzard [G; gen; Mycroft & Sherlock]: Post-Reichenbach: Sherlock visits his brother.
In which Mycroft accepts his mistakes and the two brothers decide how to proceed in order to best protect John and the others.
- The Mourning Woman by M_Leigh [G; gen, m/m; Sherlock/John, Molly]: “The last time Molly Hooper had a secret to keep, for somebody other than herself, she was fifteen years old.” Molly takes care of business, after the fall. Sherlock/John-ish.
- Minds Like Ours Dream Up by BlackEyedGirl [M; m/m; Sherlock/John, Lestrade, Mycroft]: John can’t write up the case until he finds out why. He needs to write their story true. [Post The Reichenbach Fall, major spoilers.]
This is the fix-it fic that made everything okay.
- In love, in faith unbroken dwell by coloredink [G; gen; a shit ton of people]: There are so many things about Sherlock that he didn’t know. So many things that he might never have known, if they hadn’t started meeting like this.
You’ll need to have read the Personal Blog of Dr. John Watson to recognize some of the characters. A very touching fic.
- Share and Enjoy by travels_in_time [G; gen; John, Sherlock, Lestrade]: John is cold and wet and tired and all he really wants is a cup of tea. Is that so hard?
It’s about tea. It’s about John breaking Lestrade’s consulting detective and Mycroft’s younger brother over *tea*. So much love.
- Leave the Signs and the Sirens by out_there [G; m/m; Sherlock/John, Mycroft, Lestrade]: After John’s released and back home at Baker St, Sherlock still feels it. Down the centre of his chest there’s an ache like a healing wound. A physical awareness of a body he usually ignores as much as he can. It’s psychosomatic, nothing more interesting than that.
Written based on an AU take of the events of TGG with no knowledge of S2 (according to the author). An incredible study of Sherlock dealing with psychosomatic pain.
- The Sign of Three by emungere [G; gen; Mycroft, Sherlock, John]: Mycroft takes his little brother to the park, where they meet John and pretend to be pirates. Story manages to be slightly depressing anyway. Sorry about that.
Mycroft’s POV is superfection.
- Puppets by Arnie [G; gen; Lestrade, Donovan, Anderson]: Greg Lestrade dealing with his team after the end of Reichenbach Fall.
It’s hard not to hate Donovan and Anderson, but they and Lestrade and John and Kitty Riley and everyone not named Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes, or Jim Moriarty are only human.
- Folding, Unfolding, Refolding by tarfanfics [T; gen, m/m; Sherlock/John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson]: Molly feels different, afterwards. She feels like she’s lost something, some part of herself that was capable of having a crush on Sherlock that, though pathetic, was at least honest and simple.
The greatest Molly.
- The Enunciation of Truth by MirabileLectu [G; gen; Lestrade]: The first time Greg had seen the graffiti, he had almost gotten himself fired.
Lestrade may have fallen but he’s not broken because “I BELIEVE IN SHERLOCK HOLMES”.
- The Sigerson Letters by h3rring & makokitten [G; gen; John, Sherlock; WIP]: “You may have read of the remarkable explorations of a Norwegian named Sigerson, but I am sure that it never occurred to you that you were receiving news of your friend.” - “The Empty House,” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle A month after the fall, John begins receiving emails from a young fan who calls himself Jeremy Sigerson, a fan who seems determined to keep an eye on John and single-handedly spread the truth about Sherlock Holmes and James Moriarty. But that’s surely a task too monumental for one man, isn’t it? Unless that man is…
A fan too invested in the life and death and reputation of Sherlock Holmes, told through a series of emails (one of my favorite methods of storytelling].
- Your Long Years of Exile by M_Leigh [G; m/m; Sherlock/John]: “The one thing he could never have anticipated: that it would be harder to come back than it had been to leave.” Sherlock Holmes comes back home.
All the things Sherlock realized he’d forgotten during his three long years in exile.
- The Mystery of the Runaway Bride by roane [T; gen; Sherlock, John, Donna Noble; WIP]: Donna Noble has had some troubling experiences that she’s unable to explain. So she turns to the internet’s most famous detective for help. Set between “A Scandal in Belgravia” and “The Hounds of Baskerville”.
It’s not hard to see why I rather like this fic, despite being told in 1st person POV. I don’t mind John’s voice, though, and besides - it’s Donna Fucking Noble.
- Sparks by redcarrigan [E; m/m, m/f; Sherlock/John, post-John/Sarah]: John finally sleeps with Sarah but finds it a disappointment. Sherlock tries to help him solve the mystery of why.
okay this fic passes with whoooo colors ~ my reaction tweet
- Of Wasps and Butterflies by briecheesie [G; m/m; Sherlock/John]: Wherein Sherlock is displeased with the way his body acts of its own accord around one John Watson.
Sherlock thinks “stomach full of butterflies” is a rubbish metaphor. It’s wasps. Also, John makes him frazzled and ~normal~.
- Time Signature by Nikoshinigami [G; gen, m/m; Sherlock/John]: E-mails between John and Mr. Sigerson. Post “The Reichenbach Fall”.
“this is aweomse. also i amd runk, but his is awesome anyway. self, don’t rdlet this bookmar. you knwo this is awesome fic.” what is this i don’t even
- A Couple Days in the Life of a Polyphasic by Riffir [T; m/m; Sherlock/John]: If John were Sherlock and kept mental charts and graphs regarding his flat mate’s more mundane behaviors, then it probably wouldn’t had taken over a year of living with the man, and several months of sex to learn that Sherlock Holmes actually did sleep.
I adore the shit out of this fic. ADORE.
- Ash, Gold, Quartz by ifonlynotnever [T; m/m; Sherlock/John]: Being heartless is not an advantage, the smouldering embers in his chest tell him. Swallow your pride. (For a kinkmeme prompt: “Magical realism AU. Moriarty burns the heart out of Sherlock. John builds him a new one.”)
Read this goddamn fic. I order you to.
- Five Times Sherlock Listened to John’s Heartbeat and One Time John Listened to Sherlock’s by thirdbird [T; m/m; Sherlock/John]: For a kinkmeme prompt: Sherlock is obsessed with John’s heartbeat.
There’s something whimsical and beautiful about Sherlock’s obsession with John’s heartbeat.
- Heart Like A Kick Drum by thirdbird [E; m/m; Sherlock/John]: “I want to hear what your heart sounds like while you’re having an orgasm.” An extended NC-17 cut from Five Times Sherlock Listened to John’s Heartbeat… though you don’t have to have read it to get the gist of this.
Exactly like it says on the tin. Also, this is porn the way I love to read it.
- 4 Times Sherlock Kissed John For Science by ckerased [G; m/m; Sherlock/John]: After Sherlock reads an article on the benefits of kissing, he convinces John to take place in a few snogging sessions… for science! Lots of medical lingo. There are five parts in all.
- Finding John by IronicNarwhal [T; m/m; Sherlock/John, Mycroft/Lestrade]: Sherlock Holmes has met exactly twenty-four Johns in his life. They have all been the wrong John. He’s getting tired of waiting, staring at the inscription on his finger and wondering when his John will turn up, if ever.
soulbond AU 8D
- Detonate & Inflammable by dreamlittleyo [M; m/m; Sherlock/John]: Sherlock’s too clever to have missed the signals. [Detonate] Sherlock explains. John is still confused. Maybe things aren’t that different after all. [Inflammable]
Pornfics with ace!Sherlock. Fucking finally. And very good ones, too. Exceptional.
- The Shape I Found You In by & [R; m/m; Sherlock/John]: In which Sherlock invades Sweden, John watches too much questionable television, Things Are Finally Talked About, and absence makes the heart grow odder.
Same thing as The Sigerson Letters - a story told through texting and emails.
- Common Grounds by couchbarnacle [M; m/m; Sherlock/John, Sherlock/Jim, Lestrade, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson, Mrs. Holmes, Harry, Mrs. Watson; WIP]: John Watson is working at Holmes Manor for the summer and is caught up in the whirlwind that is Sherlock Holmes. Teen AU. Eventual M/M
No I don’t know why I’m reading this don’t judge meeeeeee. This fic is like those celebrity mags you flip through while waiting in line at [insert your supermarket of choice].
- The Poem by MariposaenArullo [M; m/m; Sherlock/John, Harry, Mrs. Watson, Donovan, Anderson, Lestrade; WIP]: The class was called Interpersonal Relationships, and it was an actual course of study at John’s new high school. It was the most boring, too, until he received his project partner: the insane Sherlock Holmes.
No, I don’t know why I’m reading this either. Teen AUs with bullshit classes to force plot/shipping/porn to happen? Sign me up!
- adventures in adolescence by Vera [M; m/m; Sherlock/John, Harry, Mrs. Watson, Mr. & Mrs. Holmes, Mycroft, Molly, Moran]: A spark was all it took to change John’s path, throwing him in Sherlock’s way twenty-five years early.
This particular teen AU is amazing. It’s amazing and heartbreaking and just one very good, very incredible fic. However - adultery, teacher-student relationship, underage sex, and something akin to emotional abuse are in this fic as well, so tread carefully.
- Veritas Omnia by lucdarling [M; m/m, m/f; Clint Barton/Phil Coulson, Clint Barton/Logan, Clint Barton/Steve McGarrett, Clint Barton/Ziva David, Clint Barton/John Watson, Clint Barton/John Winchester]: The five military people Clint Barton met through the years and the one he settled down with.
Because I didn’t want this list to be stuck at 29 fic recs. Also, this is fucking glorious. So, not a straight-up Sherlock rec but a damn good fic all the same.
Enjoy! And let me know if I got any of the links wrong; copy-pasting URLs and html tags was fucking murder.